Saturday, August 16, 2014

Summer Vegetable Stew in a slow cooker

I first started making this recipe in college. I was running on the treadmill while watching Food Network and Rachel Ray came on with a total drool worthy Giambotta. I watched the show and then tweaked it to my preferences. One of my room mates was not a very adventurous eater, but absolutely loved this recipe. Back then, I made it in a stock pot, but when I started having kids, I no longer had time to stand in the kitchen for an hour or more supervising a pot.
The cooking times for this recipe will yield al dente vegetables, if you prefer yours softer, cook on high instead of low or increase cooking time.

You'll need:
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 onions, diced
2 medium-large red potatoes
1 large eggplant
2 medium zucchini
1 red bell pepper
14.5 oz diced tomatoes
2 C stock*, chicken or vegetable (if you want it vegan)
1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
pinch of pepper (or to taste)

Turn slow cooker on high and place oil, garlic, bay leaf, and onions on bottom.

Chop potatoes and add to slow cooker.
Peel and chop eggplant and add to slow cooker.
Chop zucchini and add to slow cooker.
Remove seeds from pepper, chop, and add to slow cooker.
Do NOT stir.
Reduce heat to low and cook 4 hours.
Stir in the tomatoes and stock.
Continue to cook 1-2 hours or until ready to eat
If you're not ready to eat yet within a few hours, turn the slow cooker to warm.

Serve with a crusty bread.
Enjoy!

*If you're using vegetable stock, make sure it is a flavorful, high quality stock or your stew will require additional seasoning. Most chicken stocks will taste great.

Printer friendly version

That wraps up Zucchini week (I ran out of zucchini). For links to the other recipes, check out this week's meal plan here.
This recipe originally appeared on 8/3/12 @ oneincomefamilyliving.blogspot.com. I wrote, edited, and transferred it here.

3 comments:

  1. I love vegetable stew! And in a slow cooker too? Oh yeah, my kind of recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely yummy. I don't usually do stew and soups in the summer but that's a great way to use the rest of the summer veggies I'm not canning. Thanks for sharing on #theyuckstopshere linkup! Please come share with us next week too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of summer vegetables! I've never tried a stew quite like this. I enjoyed your recipe story too. Thanks for sharing with us at The Yuck Stops Here. Please come again and share more of your wonderful recipes and their stories. Good recipe stories are almost as good as baby birth stories!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...