Friday, August 22, 2014

Harvesting Onions and Carrots 2014

One thing I loved about my garden this year was having onions and carrots at the ready for anything I needed. We had a big problem with weeds this year, so we were forced to pick everything a little early. Even so, we did pretty well. This was my first year for onions and my second for carrots.
 I wanted to leave the onions in longer, because some of them aren't very big, but I don't think they would've made it.
 Onions need to be cured for long-term storage. Basically you just let them dry out a to develop the outer layer, and then you can store them like you would onions from the grocery store. For more details check out this post from Common Sense Homesteading.
Our carrots were all good sizes, but some of them sure do look funny.

 Since we didn't grow enough carrots to last us all year, we just washed them off with the hose, trimmed the greens, and tossed them in the fridge.
All the sources I've read, say that if you want to store them long term, you should do it in a bucket or tote of moist sand. For more details on storing carrots and other vegetables for winter, check out this post from The 104 Homestead.

What do you (or would you) do with fresh onions or carrots from your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...