Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Creole Chicken and Tasty Tuesday Link-Up

I've got a treat for you all today. Not only do I have a fast and fresh recipe for you, but I'm also co-hosting the Tasty Tuesday link-up!
First things first: This recipe actually comes from my mom. It's one of her go-to recipes and I love it! Unfortunately, David isn't too fond of peppers or cooked tomato chunks, so I rarely make this dish at my house. This is a great recipe for stretching your budget, it uses things I usually have on hand. However, I realize not everyone always has creole seasoning.
 Warning: Creole seasoning is spicy, so don't use too much. If it's too spicy add a little sugar to tone it down a little.
Edited to add: The amount I have specified gives it a kick, but in my opinion is a family friendly spicy, if you like things really spicy, I'd add a bit more.
Serves: 4-6

1 1/2 C boneless/skinless chicken, chopped   
2 stalks celery, chopped  
2 C sweet pepper, chopped   
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes 
1 ½ tsp Creole seasoning (or to taste)   
1 TBSP lemon juice   
3 C rice, prepared   

Cook chicken in a large skillet over medium heat 4-5 minutes.
Add chicken, celery, pepper, and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, seasoning, and lemon juice. Simmer 10 minutes.
Serve over rice.

Enjoy!

Ideas to save you money on this recipe:
Canned tomatoes can get pretty expensive at most grocery stores, so when I need more and can't find a sale, I go to Aldi where they are usually cheap enough. They used to be $.55, but are now $.59.
Use leftover meat from another meal, or buy bone-in chicken and de-bone it yourself.
The pepper and celery can be purchased in frozen bags for $1 (or you can freeze them yourself when you find a great deal).

This month, Tammy from Creative K Kids, Dina from My UN-Entitled Life, and I are running this party on our blogs!    

We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!   Here are  just a few requests for this linky:cohost for August
  • PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below.  They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post.  Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy at Creative K Kids (Blog)**
Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
**Dina at My UN-Entitled Life  (Blog)** 
Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
**Anna at Family Living on a Budget (Blog)**
Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
  • Try to visit a couple of blogs and leave a comment or share their posts.
  • Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked up here before or they will be deleted.  Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party!
  • Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.

  • As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board.  Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!  
  • By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts  use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post.   Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
  • If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.

31 comments:

  1. That sounds super tasty. I love things with a little kick, so I would end up eating a couple of bowls full of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds fantastic. I will have to try this recipe out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good! Just linked up with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spicy! Thanks for the recipe, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay then I will be right back with a recipe for linking up!! Love the sound of this dish but I am trying to figure out what the yellow is? Peppers or corn? I didn;t see any corn in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow is pepper. It tastes great if you just use one color, but I think it takes it up a notch to use a variety since the different colors have slightly different tastes

      Delete
  6. we love spicy food
    sounds like you just decided our menu for tonight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to make this dish, because it looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to try this out it sounds so good.Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always hearing how awesome creole seasoning is, but it is not readily available in the North. I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Ohio and I purchased my last container at Meijer. I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Kroger and Walmart too, but I'll double check next time at each of the stores. How far north are you?

      Delete
  10. Hello cute lady! Thank you for hosting. I'm loving your party. Please come and party with us. We would be thrilled to have you. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Tuesday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband loves spicy food and our son is following in his footsteps. I will have to try creole seasoning, and your recipe, for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this sounds fabulous. I will have to try this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my that does sound tasty. I will be pinning this for later, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tend to buy tons of canned tomatoes at a time so I may have the ingredients needed right now. I LOVE Creole seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like a salsa. I bet I would like this. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds hot and delicious! Will definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum how delicious does that sound! I know a few people (myself included) who would love this. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks delicious; I didn't know you could buy creole seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dude, that looks so good! I didn't know there was creole seasoning either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - that chicken dish looks phenomenal! Thanks for hosting the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea! I love to change up my chicken recipes from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! that looks really great! Thanks for hosting the hook up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My hubby is Cajun- so we love creole! Thank you for the new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love recipes like this one. I think i will try it for Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many great tips. I like the idea of freezing veggies for later, I usually don't, but it does make good sense.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love Creole seasonings. Thanks for the new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have to ask, how spicy is spicy? I like creole flavors, but I'm a wimp about spicy foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amount of creole seasoning I have in this recipe gives it a nice kick, but stays family friendly. However, if you're not sure, I'd start with 1 tsp. You can always add more or add sugar to tone it down a bit.

      Delete
  28. your recipe looks amazing. I'm going to print it off. Pinned to the Creative K Kids Tasty Tuesday board. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...