Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Prepping Potatoes for the Freezer

Have you ever had a large bag of potatoes that was going to go bad before you could use it all? I have! I get them when the price is right, but don't always feel like having a ton of potato meals. What better way to save those potatoes than putting them in the freezer?!

The tricky part about freezing potatoes is, they don't freeze well raw. After thawing a raw potato the texture gets mealy and undesirable. However, you don't want to cook them so much that they fall apart when cooking.

Here's what I do:
Dice potatoes and place in a stock pot.
Cover completely with water and bring to a boil.
Allow to boil 2-3 minutes- potatoes should be just barely cooked though.
Drain and rinse with cold water to stop potatoes from cooking further.
Spread out on a lined baking sheet and flash freeze for 2-5 hours.
Remove potatoes from freezer and transfer to labeled freezer bags.
If you have a scale, I recommend dividing them in 32oz (2lb) bags- it's the standard size you'll find at the grocery.
Place bags in freezer and use when you're ready.

Note: I leave the skins on, but you can peel them before dicing if you prefer.

What's your favorite way to use frozen diced potatoes?

This post was originally published on 12/30/11 @ oneincomefamilyliving.blogspot.com. I wrote, revised, and transferred it here.

18 comments:

  1. I didn't even know potatoes could be frozen. That is great to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I did not know I can do this. It also helps that they're slightly boiled as a lot of dishes I make call for that, and it helps to have it done in advance... thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also didn't know that they could be frozen. Good to know! AMber N

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never thought about freezing potatoes. Thanks for the tip, now I know that I can also do this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems easy enough. Next time we have potatoes i will suggest it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is good to know because my potatoes are always shriveling up, growing roots, and going bad. I never would have thought of this. I like using diced potatoes to make breakfast dishes sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've frozen potatoes before but didn't cook them beforehand. They turned out yucky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never frozen potatoes. Well. I rarely freeze any of my produce, lol. I'm too lazy to it. This looks easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that's a great idea! I was thinking it must be possible to make hashbrowns or something with them because we have 3-4 potatoes that go straight into the compost bin because we don't get to them before they go bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to know how to freeze potatoes... thank you so much for sharing this, this is definitely going to make my meal prep time a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will be a huge time saver for me during the week! no more cutting potatoes everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great tip! We just started a monthly grocery shopping experiment and this will be a great way to help stretch those trips between grocery trips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have so many great ideas. With a little preparation this is so easy and inexpensive. I'm taking notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, that looks quite easy. I had no idea potatoes could be frozen like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. this is such a helpful tip. I have never frozen potatoes before, but now I will!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't think you could freeze potatoes. Thanks for sharing. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome tip. Thanks for sharing at Pin Your Friday Favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love being able to freeze them. Living alone, I always have to eat potatoes every day, even if I buY just 5 pounds. Knowing how to freeze them will allow me to get them and make soups and stews, instead of becoming a potato after eating then every day for what seems like months!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...