Thursday, July 17, 2014

Blackhand Gorge State Nature Preserve

We recently visited Blackhand Gorge State Nature Preserve in Toboso, Ohio. It's named for the black hand print that used to be on the side of a cliff. The hand print is no longer there, but it's still a great place to visit to get some peace and quiet, enjoy a leisurely bike ride, or go on a hike.
 We stuck to the paved trailed to keep it easy for the kids, but there was still plenty to see and experience.
 We found a dragonfly hanging out on a leaf.
 Quinn found some flowers.
We also found some little caves in the side of one of the cliffs.
 The view as we approached Black Hand Rock was particularly neat.
The sign David was reading in the previous picture tells a little about the rock.
 The downside to seeing Black Hand Rock, is that it's not wheelchair or stroller accessible. We didn't have either with us, but it was on my mind that day.
 
 We had a great time and still had plenty of energy left to head back home after seeing Black Hand Rock. The trail was very green and peaceful, but we think it would be even prettier in the fall when all the leaves change color.

Have you taken a leisurely walk recently?

11 comments:

  1. We've never headed up there because I didn't think it was wheel friendly - thank you for mentioning it! Now I know we would need the carriers for both Mason and Samuel and Mason's knee pads. I seriously need to order a few more pair of kneepads so I can keep some in the vehicles for trips too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mason is actually who I was thinking of. One of my first thoughts when I realized the main path was paved, was that your family would be able to go without too much difficulty, so I was bummed when I saw the little path down to the rock wasn't paved. The paved path goes on for miles after the rock, so there's certainly enough to make it worth the trip even if you don't take a closer look at the rock.

      Delete
  2. I love hiking.you never know what you will find

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place. We love getting out to hike, especially on sunday afternoons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place to visit with the family! I love to go for walks like this with my son also. He doesn't love them as much, lol, tweens...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a very neat (and family friendly) place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice place to visit - we've walked a nature trail last week along a canalway. I love exploring nature and seeing all the flora and fauna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks beautiful. Love the little caves. Nice way to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a nice way to spend a family afternoon. I love exploring with the kids and letting them run off energy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually live about an hour away from here
    M it's really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love to hike and explore. Thank you for sharing another beautiful place in Ohio. We've never been there before or heard of it. Just goes to show how wonderfully diverse our state is.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...