Friday, July 18, 2014

What Kind of Duck Is This?

Our cute little duckling, Quackers, has become a small mystery to us. Quackers was sold to us a Rouen duckling, but through conversations I had with other duck owners, I learned Rouen ducklings all look the same and don't start black.
 Based on this picture I was told Quackers is a Cayuga, which is a popular black show duck.
 Looking back at this picture, I realize Quackers wasn't as black as we thought.
We really began to notice a discrepancy, when feathers started coming in and they are brown tipped like a Rouen.
My current conclusion is that we have a mixed breed. My guess is Rouen with just enough Cayuga to allow the down to be black. We don't really care, but it would've been nice to know that when we bought the ducklings, because some breed have different coloring depending on the gender.

This gender waiting game is like being pregnant again. I am overly anxious to learn the gender of my new babies so I can plan accordingly. I always tried to find out at my mid way ultrasound, Zeke was too modest to show us and it drove me nuts for the remainder of his pregnancy.

Do you try to find out the sex of your babies before they are born?

5 comments:

  1. we found out but did not want to share. It was very difficult. NOt sure what we'll do with the next....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea about ducks.. it looks cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found out with our first 3, but not our last. The dr said my second son was a girl, surprise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to find out! I am not very patient and wanted to know right away lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...