Saturday, July 19, 2014

Homemade Baby Cereal: Oats

Claire has been licking her chops around food recently, so I finally decided to make and give her some of her own last weekend. She loved it! She has allergies, so her pediatrician recommended starting with oatmeal or rice.

I am not opposed to buying the baby cereal, but it's just as easy to toss ingredients I already have in the processor. This also comes in handy with allergies, because you don't get the random ingredients thrown in. I actually looked at a box of rice cereal, and it had soy lecithin in it. Claire may be allergic to soy and while the lecithin doesn't usually cause issues with allergies, I didn't want to risk it.


4+ T quick oats
food processor
boiling water

Process oats until it's as flour like as possible. (Mine is a it old and doesn't get as fine as I'd like, but it works)
Using a 2:1 ratio, add boiling hot water (2 parts) to desired amount of processed oats (1 part) and stir.
The oats should cook if the water is hot enough. Add additional water until desired consistency is achieved. For beginners, I use 1/2 T oats and 2-3 T water.
Allow cereal to cool to a baby safe temperature and serve.


As you can see Claire is a fan.

Have you ever made your own baby food?

10 comments:

  1. Aww! She IS a fan :-)

    I made almost all of my sons' (19yo and 3yo) baby food, actually. I liked controlling what went into their food. Also, it was pretty easy and very economical...so why not? I felt the same way about cloth diapering and nursing, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun stages! For Samuel we didn't attempt solids until a lot later than Miss Claire, he simply wasn't interested. We have bought some baby food (kinds with meat because he's not quite ready to chew meats) but mostly he went right to table food. As I type this he and I are sitting at the table while he eats bread with jam and some cut up pear. He's been pretty non-picky so far but he hated cereals. I'm planning to give him oatmeal again this week to see if he's changed his mind when I do oatmeal in the rice cooker again. MMMmmm!

    It is SO much cheaper to make babyfood, isn't it?! I think waiting until they're older helps too because you only make it for a very short period of time before they handle table foods easily. (Well, unless you are dealing with oral issues like we had with Mason from all the intubation for surgeries...sigh. Glad those are over!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We won't be doing purees for long if I can help it. Wyatt is our most adventurous eater and he moved on to table foods pretty quickly. So, I'm hoping for a repeat with Claire.

      Delete
  3. Nice!! Will have to pass this on to my friends with little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My niece is making baby food, so I will let her know about this homemade oats illustration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a grandmom, it's always interesting to see how parents are starting their little ones on solid food. Good job and keep up the great work, she looks very healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cousin just had a little one last week, while she won't need this for a while I will suggest it to her for when baby gets a little older!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We bought our food at the store, this interesting

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wish I had made my little guy's food when he was a baby! So much healthier and cheaper than the jarred stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to make my daughter's baby food too. How fun!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...