Thursday, October 2, 2014

How to Make a Cutesy Halloween Spider: A Beginner Sewing Craft

I've got a fun little treat for you today. How cute is this little spider?

Most people that know me in real life also know that I have an extremely talented mother. She can sew as well as any professional seamstress. I, on the other hand, did not gain her talent with thread and fabric. I can do basic to intermediate projects, but I still have a long way to go.

This project is great for a beginner sewer. My mom started at age 5, but I think 7 or 8 is a more common age to start these days.
 You'll need: 1 sheet of felt, ribbon, needle, thread, stuffing, scissors tacky glue, and googly eyes. Optional extras include pom poms and additional colors of felt. Assuming you have the scissors already, this project should cost less than $10 and will have extra of most items for future projects.
 To start: fold the sheet of felt over and cut out and oval. This will give you two ovals.
 Cut 8 equal pieces of ribbon.
 Fold the ribbon in half and secure together with tacky glue. While you're at it, space out the legs to your liking then flip them so the folded side is pointed toward the center. Secure with a small dot of glue if necessary.
 Place the second piece of felt on top to sandwich the ribbon and sew around the edges, leaving a gap in the stitching to turn it right side out and stuff it. You can use any type of stitch you want.
Turn the spider right side out and stuff with stuffing to desired plushness.
 Use a whip or ladder stitch to close the the hole in the stuffing and you're ready to decorate. For a video tutorial of a ladder stitch, click here. And for the whip stitch, click here.
 Have fun decorating. Add eyes, fangs, spots, and/or stripes. Tacky glue will easily attach just about anything to your spider.

This craft is part of a bigger party put together by Felt With Love Designs, so please feel free to check out the others:

2 comments:

  1. Love your spider!! Pinning it to my Halloween board. Thank you for joining the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of those Taggies stuffed animals! It is terribly ADORABLE! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...