Monday, June 23, 2014

12 Tips to Make Grocery Shopping with Children More Enjoyable

I have 4 kids, ages 5 months to 5 years, grocery shopping with all of them presents it's challenges, but it's essential. During the school year, I did my best to go while my two preschoolers were in school, but during the summer they are usually all in tow. Most of the time, we have an enjoyable shopping experience and people compliment the kids on their behavior. So, I've compiled my list of things that make it happen.
  1. Have a meal plan and grocery list. For more tips on this, check out my series on meal planning and list making.
  2. If possible, shop in the morning or after dinner. At least try to avoid the after work/ before dinner rush and the pre-holiday rush. I find the store to be less crowded in the morning. So, if my kids aren't on their best behavior, there are less people around to get annoyed. This means I get less stressed and am able to calm the situation a little easier.
  3. Go to a store with family friendly carts. Aldi is nice, but they have one type of cart and it's chained up outside, so there is a greater chance my kids will get into something they shouldn't. Plus, if I want more than one kid to ride in a cart I need a second cart. I am currently loving Kroger. They have these car carts that can hold up to 4 small children and still have room for groceries.
  4. Wear your baby (if applicable). I am constantly getting comments concerning my wrap and carrier. People can't get over how adorable and content my babies are. By wearing my baby, I don't need to take up space with a big bulky carseat and my baby is more likely to fall asleep and stay asleep.
  5. Let the kids know what's going on and your expectations. If you have a big trip planned, let them know. A simple, "We have a lot of shopping to do. I need you on your best behavior, so we can get it all done and go home quickly" can be very effective
  6. Let them know their consequences. I almost always tell my kids that if they are good the whole time we're in the first part of the store, they can have a cookie when we get to the bakery. Did you know many grocery stores give these away for free to children as a courtesy? If they aren't behaving, they can't have the cookie. That's just our rule and no one has ever pushed it far enough to get their cookie taken away- we've come close and needed reminders, but that immediate reward helps. 
  7. Bring snacks. Having a snack or getting a cookie (or both) can be a great distraction. Sometimes kids whine because they are hungry and being surrounded by all of the food doesn't help the matter. 
  8. Let them help. You don't have to make them their own special list to get them to help. My kids love helping to pick out produce; I tell them what we are getting and they help to pick it out. I also teach them what each item should look and feel like and we usually end up practicing our counting. In the aisles, you could ask the kids that walk to find a certain item, this can be especially helpful if they are getting antsy and wanting to wander.
  9. Praise them. I do my best to make the store a happy place for my kids. I make it a point to let the kids know I appreciate their good behavior. If they are struggling, I make it and even bigger point. A trip with a rough start can quickly turn around when you give them a second chance and are quick to praise their efforts. 
  10. Let employees do their job. Since my kids are younger, I find it easiest to only worry about getting my groceries onto the conveyor belt. The cashier rings it all up (I pay attention if I can) and the bagger, bags it and puts it back into my cart.
  11. Ask for help if you need it. Usually, I will get asked if I need help to my car, so I simply say yes, but don't be afraid to ask the bagger or let the cashier know you need help (they can usually get someone to assist you). This little bit of help cuts my time in the parking lot in half since they usually have all the groceries neatly stacked in the trunk by the time I finish buckling all of my kids in. 
  12. The grocery trip isn't over until everything is inside. When you get home, let the kids help again. My kids know that everyone helps bring in the groceries. Even little Wyatt (1) takes a bag and carries it to the kitchen. Everyone is usually tired and hungry by the time we get home, so if I can reduce the number of trips I need to take, I can start getting lunch ready that much sooner.
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Is there anything else you do to make your shopping trips more enjoyable?

25 comments:

  1. I like doing my shopping first thing in the morning. It's less crowded in the store at that time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grocery shopping use to be a hassle when my daughters were babies. I would shop when I know there is not a lot of people around, so I would do my grocery shopping late in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas, I'm sure I'll need with Baby Mash in the not to distant future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know when we used to shop when they were little, we had to bring snacks. that helped out a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They load your car?!?! That is awesome! this is a great list, we always get the car cart and our boys (2y and 4y) always behave better when we have them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! These are really great tips and advice! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I totally choose my grocery store based on the shopping carts and parking lots nowadays. I can't deal with a slanted parking lot where my kids are rolling away in the cart while I'm trying to load bread into the trunk! Thanks for the ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Ideas to make grocery shopping with the kids easier. I just go when they are asleep now but I will keep these in mind when I need to go while they are awake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great tips! I could have used these tips those times I had to leave my cart full of groceries due to a tantrum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right on target. I was a single mom for 8 years and not only had to take them grocery shopping but everywhere I go. My favorite 3 are: expectations, consequences, and praise - those 3 will take you far in any circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with baby wearing at the store - it makes the whole experience so much easier for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! That is tooooo cute that your 1-year old carries in a bag too. If I had the promise of a cookie from the bakery for good behavior, I certainly would have been a perfect little shopper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have two little ones and the local store has mini shopping carts my daughters love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips! I have 3 kid and it's SUPER hard to go to the store with them especially by myself. I will use all the tips I can!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 90% of my grocery trips are with my toddler and it is definitely hard! These are such great tips and I know all of them are really useful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stores with family friendly carts make shopping SO much easier! My son loves the ones with the cars on them like you have pictured with your boys it keeps them happy and mommy happy lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. We always let them help us get the things we need. We also involve them in decision making what to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of great tips! It's always a nightmare going shopping with my kids. Thanks for all this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many of these tips I always follow and have great success at the store. I WISH I had thought of baby wearing when my son was little! I hated dragging that whole carrier in and taking up all my basket space just so he can sleep LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really need a Kroger around here with he cart to hold 4 small children! I tend to do my shopping late at night after the kids go to bed because it really I a headache taking them to "un-family friendly" stores

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tips - I like number 9!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tips! I also have 4 kids but they're much older except for my 2 year old. I never walk with anything to the store because she always wants something when we're in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tips! My favorite is number 7 because I never even thought about bringing snacks to the grocery store---but if there is one thing that would keep my daughter occupied, that's it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great tips. I always enjoy bringing my kids along, and they have fun too!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...