Monday, June 30, 2014

Catching Fireflies

One of my favorite summertime activities as a child was catching fireflies (aka lightning bugs). Sometimes I would just catch and release over and over, while other times I would put them in a jar with holes poked through the lid.

Fireflies can be found on hot summer nights, but don't appear everywhere. Our kids have typically gone to bed around 7, meaning they are in bed before the lightning bugs come out. However, we've been allowing them to stay up later recently, so they were actually awake and outside when the lightning bugs came out the other night.

The kids had a great time! Zeke is quite the natural bug catcher, so he had a jar full before we knew it.
Quinn eventually figured it out and a couple nights later was successfully grabbing them in between her forefinger and tumb, but surprisingly not squishing them. Wyatt hasn't had much luck catching them, but he doesn't care; he has a great time chasing the bugs.

We allowed the kids to watch the bugs in the jar for awhile, but explained they needed to be let go, so they wouldn't die in the jar. They agreed and now eagerly await every chance they get to catch more.

Are there fireflies in your area? Have you ever caught one?

12 comments:

  1. You know what's weird - we live in a wooded area, but we don't have have fireflies. I wish we did - they are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is a little young to catch fireflies (I think they only come out after her bedtime) but I have to say, I still think they are magical. By the way, love the name Zeke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just did this for the first time the other day and my son loved it! Such a fun activity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have not seen any yet.. my kids like to catch them also and put them in a jar..

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have tons here, but have not tried catching them yet! (my 4-year old calls them "Fire Butterflies" :) We'll have to try that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool. Our version of fireflies down hear care called 'love bugs'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I've never seen one in real life. We don't have them here in SoCal that I know of. I'd love to though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen fireflies in years!! I miss them. I used to catch them in a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my son would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy that you let them go after you catch them. I love all creatures and I love when they fly free and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember catching fireflies when I was a little girl. Now it's fun watching my boys do the same during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love watchng fireflies and the kids just love to chase after them. Glad you guys released them after. :) They are fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...