Thursday, June 26, 2014

Healthier Stuffed Peppers

I love stuffed peppers! Unfortunately for me, David is not a pepper fan, so I don't make them as often as I'd like. There is something so satisfying about digging your fork into the middle of a steaming pepper and pulling out this rich and comforting combination. Mmm, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
Serves 6
6 medium/large bell peppers, seeded
1 lb ground turkey/venison/beef
1/2 onion, chopped
8 oz tomato sauce
1 T minced garlic
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 T Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 C cooked rice

Preheat oven to 350 F

Cut tops off the peppers and remove cores. Trim the stems from the tops and discard. Chop the remaining part of the tops; set aside. 
Arrange pepper shells in a steamer over boiling water, cover, and steam 5-10 minutes, until tender. Drain shells and set aside.
In large skillet, combine turkey, onion, and reserved chopped pepper. Cook over medium heat until turkey is cooked- approximately 7-8 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. 
Add the tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. 
Mix in the rice (use less rice for smaller peppers and more rice for bigger peppers or leftover filling).
Spoon mixture into the pepper shells; then place the peppers upright in a baking dish. Bake 10-15 minutes, until peppers are thoroughly heated. 
Serve and enjoy!

If desired, add mozzarella cheese or an additional 8oz of tomato sauce on top of the peppers before baking.

This post was originally published on 5/30/12 @ oneincomefamilyliving.blogspot.com. I revised it and transferred it here.

10 comments:

  1. Those sound delicious. I am a big fan of stuffed peppers, but I don't make them that much because I am the only one in the house who likes them :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I haven't tried stuffed peppers before. This recipe looks great. I'm pinning it for later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember eating stuffed peppers all the time as a child. I was reminiscing about it last week actually and wanted to find a good recipe for them. Now I will have to give yours a try thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmmmmmm I will make these with vegan ground. I've been making some of these recipes you post and they come out delicious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are enjoying my recipes! I was thinking about you the other day as I was preparing this post and wondered if it would work for you. I completely forgot about TVP.

      Delete
  5. Oooohhh these look and delicious! I had to pin it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit, I have never made any kind of stuffed peppers before and I might have to try it one of these days. Thanks for sharing! IT looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stuffed peppers but haven't had them in too long. I like the idea of the sauce on top too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE stuffed peppers! Especially cheesy ones! Yum! I am trying this. I always eat them with rice! lol! I'm Asian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had stuffed peppers in so long. This would be a great recipe to try making them with. We like rice!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...