Sunday, June 1, 2014

Meal Planning Part 1: Inventory

To plan your meals for the week (or longer) while stretching your grocery dollar as far as possible, you first need to take inventory of your pantry, fridge, and freezer.
If you have no idea what's in there take some time to really go through everything and organize it.

Depending on how much you have, this may take you awhile so start in one area and work your way around.
Try starting with the refrigerator and freezer(s) first. Toss anything that has spoiled. My rule of thumb is: when in doubt, throw it out. Then, move on to the dry goods.
As you're going through everything do 3 things:
  1. write the expiration date in a visable spot with a permanent marker
  2. organize- put like items together, so they are easier to find
  3. make a list* of what you have -while you're at it, make a second list for anything you notice missing or running low that you use regularly
Doing these things will allow you to know what you have and when it expires. To avoid doing this all the time, just date, organize, and add to your list each time you bring things home from the store. It takes an extra minute, but saves you time in the future.

*A list isn't for everyone. If your items are all easily visible and a quick glance will remind you of everything you have, feel free to omit this.

After you've taken inventory, you can move on to checking the sales.

Check back for the following links to the other parts in this series:
part 2: check for sales
part 3: pick meals
part 4: make list
part 5: meal inspiration
part 6: shopping day

How do you keep track of your inventory?

I originally published this post on 10/24/11 @ oneincomefamilyliving.blogspot.com. I updated it and republished it here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm terrible at keeping track! You've inspired me to organize my pantry!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...