Thursday, June 5, 2014

Meal Planning Part 3: Pick Meals

The most important part of meal planning is deciding what food you're going to eat.

Since you've already taken inventory of your available supplies and figured out what's on sale, it'd be silly not to use this knowledge when planning your meals.

For example, if boneless skinless chicken is on sale for $1.87/lb, consider making several chicken dishes and/or buying extra chicken for the freezer. Lets also say you have cream of celery soup, and frozen mixed vegetables in your inventory, you might want to make chicken pot pie, so either add pie crust to your list or make sure you have the ingredients to make your own.

If sales are slim, consider making as many meals as possible from your inventory and shop at a store that has everyday low prices for the missing pieces.

Here's a sample menu I might use this time of year when outdoor cooking is popular and those items are on sale:

"Nuts About Oatmeal Muffins"
Breakfasts: (These options are made primarily from basic pantry items I don't like to be without.)
  • pancakes
  • oatmeal
  • cereal
  • muffins
  • egg in a nest
  • parfaits 
Lunches: (Again, these options are made primarily from basic pantry items. I primarily use lunch to eat leftovers, so I need ideas that will not spoil if I need to eat leftovers instead.)
  • sandwiches -PB&J or tuna salad w/ pretzels and fruit
  • leftovers
"Healthier Stuffed Peppers"
Dinners: (This is where our menu really depends on sales and time of year.)
  • burgers, corn on the cob, watermelon
  • brats, cole slaw
  • taco salad
  • grilled chicken salad
  • kabobs
  • fajitas
  • stuffed peppers



 Snacks/Desserts
  • sale produce
  • veggies w/ dip
  • pretzels
  • s'mores
  • popsicles
This meal plan would be on a week like last week that had peppers in addition to the burgers and brats. They'd likely have buns and either chicken or a ground beef/turkey on sale too.

After finalizing the menu, it's time to make the list.

Click the following links for the other parts in this series:
part 1: inventory
part 2: check for sales
part 4: make a list
part 5: meal inspiration
part 6: shopping day

How do you pick your meals?

I originally published this post on 10/25/11 @ oneincomefamilyliving.blogspot.com. I revised it and republished it here.

17 comments:

  1. I suck at meal planning but for a few months now and after tryign real hard to stick to budget, my kitchen creativity is improving. This is a real must if you want to save big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't meal plan at all and I know I should, but I don't like to plan ahead and then not be in the mood for something the day I planned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. I've had to train myself to get in the mood for whatever is planned, but even still I end up switching meals here and there.

      Delete
  3. My meal planning really sucks. I always go over budget and also the food I buy never seems to last so I always find myself going back to the store for more food. Thanks for your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm terrible at the planning side of meals...I end up with a random hodge-podge of ingredients and wing it from there. I like your methodology, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pick by asking my wife what we are eating for dinner.. breakfast and lunch are usually normal ham and cheese and cereal or toast of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do any meal planning, and I never know what to make for dinner because my sweetie and I have extremely different tastes. I do like the idea of making Popsicles as a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm bad about planning around store sales. I definitely need to begin doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ideas for the meals! I usually have some staples in my pantry but I'm really bad at having the rest that I need around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love meal planning. Mine is a little different because I'm vegan, but some of it is similar. I love it because it does save money to be predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We tried going Paleo for the last two weeks, and as someone who is used to cooking with rice, pasta and bread, it made meal planning (and shopping) so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still can't really get into meal planning. It's like an episode of Chopped every night in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently just started meal planning for my family it's saved us a bunch of money and me a bunch of headaches lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! These look so healthy! I love anything with rice so I am definitely trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've looked for the recipe of the 'nuts about oatmeal muffins' pictured above & can't find it on your blog. Can you tell me where I can find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, it's one I meant to put up awhile ago and never did. I'll get the post finished and have it up for you on Tuesday.

      Delete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...