Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Meal Planning Part 6: Shopping Day

It's shopping day and thanks to all of your planning, you should be set up for an easy trip that will take less time than trips done without the prep work.
When you are at the store, stick to your list and your budget. You'll save time and money this way.
I find it helpful to keep a calculator and pen with me to make sure my initial calculations are going according to plan and to aid when I can't find something on my list. If they don't have a sale item, ask for a raincheck to use another week and/or try to formulate a back-up plan that still falls within your budget. Check the clearance and meat mark-downs for any needed inspiration.

When you get home with all of your groceries, take the time to properly put everything away.
Remember all that time and effort spent on taking inventory? Don't waste it by randomly stuffing items on your shelves or leaving everything in bags on the floor.
Write the expiration date of all items in permanent marker where it is easy to see on any items not being consumed right away. Then put the items away in an orderly fashion.
If you have items to freeze, make sure they are properly packaged and easy to read.
I find it helpful to prep most of my produce at this time too. I wash and properly contain all snack fruits, to make them easier to access when my toddler is throwing a tantrum because he needs to eat something.

Click the following links for the other parts in this series:
part 1: inventory
part 2: check sales
part 3: pick meals
part 4: make a list
part 5: meal inspiration

Do you have any food/money saving tips or tricks for grocery shopping day?What is your favorite/least favorite part about shopping and putting away groceries?

I originally published this post on 10/29/11 @ oneincomefamilyliving.blogspot.com. I updated it and republished it here.

16 comments:

  1. I wish I had tips to share. I suck when it comes to budgeting. I love the idea of writing the expiration date down. A lot of food has gone to waste because we didn't eat it fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the well laid out ideas. I need to preplan my shopping and meals better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really helpful tip to put the expiration date on cans. I do that with the foods that I put in Ziploc bags for the freezer or fridge, but never thought about how helpful it would be for canned foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great tips. I'm totally guilty of leaving my groceries on the floor after a shopping trip. But you're right that it's counterproductive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice tips.. sales are all over the place, you just have to catch it right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas but I have a hard time planning in advance. I sometimes change my mind about dinner mid-afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your family planning advice. We are very similar in what we believe and how we manage meals. I am glad I'm not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love reading your blog too. I know it's your brand, but you are so positive and it's fun to visit.

      Delete
  8. I'm not the best at sticking to my shopping list and just that, but I'll try to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas, i love the writing on the cans. i will start doing that. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great guide! Thanks for sharing all these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the worst meal planner ever. I once even looked up companies to plan meals for me and cook them but they were a bit pricey...oh to be rich.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meal planning is such a time and money saver, plus it keeps my family a little healthier :) LOVE that you wrote the expiration dates on top of the can! I just may have to borrow this technique...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bookmarked this. I really need to do better about planning meals and buying during sales

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...