Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup and Tasty Tuesday Linkup

Who doesn't like their broccoli smothered in cheese? When I was younger, I thought cheese was the only possible way to muscle through broccoli. My tastes have grown up since then, but I still love the combination.
As I was looking to try my own version of broccoli cheese soup, I wanted to stick with ingredients that I normally buy and not force myself to get a processed log of velveeta. Not that I'm completely against the cheese, I just prefer less processed varieties.
 
Estimated cost: $6-7
Ingredients:
2 C skim or low fat milk
4 C chicken broth
1/2 onion, petite diced
24 oz frozen broccoli
3/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 C shredded mozzarella cheese

Stir together milk, broth, onion, broccoli, pepper, and nutmeg in a 6 QT slow cooker. Heat on low 5-7 hours until onions are transparent and soft.
Add cheese and allow to melt. The cheese will stick to the broccoli and not absorb into the broth. Carefully wisk (avoid scrapping the bottom of the stoneware with metal wisk) or use immersion blender to break up and distribute the cheese throughout soup.
Serve with rolls or biscuits and enjoy!

Note: This is a thinner (skinnier) version of broccoli cheese soup, the texture is different but the taste is delicious!

This recipe originally appeared on oneincomefamilyliving.blogspot.com on 12/12/11. I wrote, updated, and transferred it here.

Tammy from Creative K Kids is the host of this party every week! This month, Anna from Family Living on a Budget and Sydney from Tastefully Frugal are also running this party on their blogs!    

September's co-hosts for Tasty Tuesdays  
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!   Here are  just a few requests for this linky
  • PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below.  They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post.  Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy at Creative K Kids (Blog)**
Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
**Anna at Family Living on a Budget (Blog)**
Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
**Sydney at Tastefully Frugal  (Blog)** 
Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
  • Try to visit a couple of blogs and leave a comment or share their posts.
  • Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked up here before or they will be deleted.  Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party!
  • Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.

  • As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board.  Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!  
  • By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts  use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post.   Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
  • If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love broccoli, my hubby won't touch it. No problem- more for me! I pinned to make later.

    Thanks so much for sharing and when I make it I'll add your link to the post.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup looks great. I like the bread bowl! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a fantastic soup !! We loooooove broccoli (I'd just use veggie broth.)
    Thanks for the party and for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I'll have to try this version! Thanks for being such a great co-host the past two months! I've pinned this post to Creative K Kids' Tasty Tuesdays' Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...