Thursday, July 3, 2014

Nana's Foolproof Corn on the Cob

I may be a little bias, but this is my favorite way to have corn on the cob. My mom has cooked it this way as long as I can remember, so naturally I've been making it the same way since I started my own family. There are so many ways to prepare corn on the cob, but the great thing about this is that even mediocre ears turn out wonderfully delicious!
Fill a pot with water and add some sugar. A smaller pot only needs about a 1/2 Tablespoon, while a bigger pot could use a 2-3 tablespoons- No need to measure carefully, I just grab some and call it good. Bring the sugar water to a boil. Add the corn, but don't overcrowd. Allow to boil 2 minutes, remove corn with tongs to serve, add more corn and repeat if needed. Serve with the option of butter and salt, and enjoy!
If you happen to overcrowd as my dear husband did in this picture, simply allow it to cook a little longer, 6-7 minutes or 1 minute after it's returned to a boil, whichever comes first.

Do you want to take corn on the cob to a potluck or feed a large crowd?
Add butter to sugar water before boiling (1 stick for a large caning-sized pot). Cut ears in half before boiling. Boil 2-3 minutes and wrap the 1/2 ears individually in foil immediately. If put in a covered pot or insulated container, they will stay warm for a couple hours.

This post originally appeared on 6/6/12 @ oneincomefamilyliving.blogspot.com. I wrote it and transferred it here.

What's your favorite dish to take to a summer potluck?

3 comments:

  1. We also love corn on the cob in our family and we also prepare it that way!

    Hopping from Nexus Girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always take dessert to a potluck. Super simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around here, a summer cookout isn't a cookout without potato salad and pasta salad. I am usually in charge of bringing the pasta salad.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...