Thursday, August 28, 2014

3D Sculpted Pikachu Birthday Cake

If you follow me on instagram, you've probably noticed that I'm working on Wyatt's birthday cake. Did you know I've been decorating cakes for about 5 years now? I don't make them all the time anymore, but at one point I seriously considered making it a career. I'd need fancier equipment for that, but it doesn't pay much anyway. I'm perfectly content just making them for us and the occasional friend.

For Quinn's birthday I made a Pikachu cake and sent out a few spoilers on Instagram. The only finished product picture was this one:

I had a few requests to see more, so here you go. The cake didn't turn out perfect and it gave me a lot of grief, but Quinn didn't care, she loved her "Pikachu birthday cake"


Since this blog is about living on a budget, let me talk about the cost of making this cake for a second. The base of this cake is reusable and I've already used it several times, but I think I paid $5 for it. The fondant can be extremely expensive, but you can make your own using this recipe/tutorial and it'll cost you $5-10 per batch. You'll need 2-3 batches for this particular cake and base. Cake recipes can vary in cost, but you could easily make enough for this cake without spending more than $10. Icing recipes vary too, but $5 could make you enough for this cake. Add in an extra $5 for random supplies like dowel rods and cake boards and you have yourself a fancy cake for $40-$55. Plus of course all the time, effort, and utilities. I think it's worth it, because it's fun and the kids like that I do something designed just for them for their birthdays.

Do you make your kids' birthday cakes?

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake! Can't wait to eat another one in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do make our cakes because that's the only way to get egg, soy, and artificial dye free! However, I don't ever make a sculpted cake. Just one or two 13x9 pans, or maybe circle pans if the kid requests it. :) I love the idea, just not the expense. Our cakes are 100% whole wheat, ground at home, and cost about $4 including icing. Oh, and I have no cake sculpting skills - love yours though!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...