Friday, August 8, 2014

Growing Green Beans: what I've learned so far

I love green beans! I eat them year round, but nothing compares to the fresh taste and satisfaction I get from my garden green beans. This is my third year growing them and I've tried them 3 different ways.
The first year, I grew several bushes. My harvest was fairly small and I was about 9 months pregnant so bending over to pick the beans was not the most comfortable thing.
Last year, I planted pole beans with our corn. I must have done something wrong though, because the beans choked out the corn. The beans still did well, but I didn't get any corn.
This year, I tried pole beans again and made bean teepees. I know pole beans can grow pretty tall, but David only found 6 ft poles for me, so that's what we used. The following picture was taken just after I planted everything a little less than 3 months ago.
 The next picture was taken last night.
 As you can see, they look rather top heavy. Part of that is because the chickens kept sitting on and eating the plants when they were new and they still like to munch on the lower parts. The main reason for the top heaviness is because the teepees are a few feet too short! My longest vine is at least 8 if not 9 feet in length.
I do have lots of green beans ready to be harvested and many more that will be ready sometime this next week, so I'll be adding to garden fresh green beans to next week's meal plan.


Have you ever grown green beans? If so, what kind and how did it go? If not, do you think you'll ever give it a try?


12 comments:

  1. We live in Hawaii & once we get back to the mainland green beans is on the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much garden space in my tiny Parisian apartment :) But when we move to a place with a yard I can't wait to start a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I kill plants lol. I must try again!! I live in a small apartment as well but would love to have a garden when we buy our first home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful leaves the green beans have. I grow tomatoes and cucumbers, but not very well. Thanks for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I wish my green beans where this cooperative

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could have a garden. Would make my grocery lists a lot shorter. Living on the 3rd floor of an apartment doesn't exactly have garden potential. I think 9 foot long green bean vines would definitely be out!
    Goofball Mommy
    www.goofballmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting how huge a green bean vine can get it given the chance. Children can hide in a bean teepee if the poles are positioned right. How fun for you to finally get it the way you wanted them to grow

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is my dream some day to own a garden. I just don't have the space right now. I would definitely try to grow green beans along with many yummy vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful garden! I love those colored beanpoles too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice looking green beans! I have not grown green beans, but I have tried scarlet red beans...something else enjoyed them before I could! LOL I do want to try again, I want to try some winter crops maybe this year! We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to have a garden once we are out of military housing. I have a feeling I would kill everything though... My green thumb is a nasty shade of black.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some day I would love to get into gardening and it's good to know any tips about growing green beans.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...