Thursday, August 7, 2014

Slate Run Living Historical Farm: Summer 2014

One of the kids' favorite places to visit is Slate Run Living Historical Farm. The farm is located in my hometown, Canal Winchester, Ohio. Going to the farm is like stepping back in time to the 1880s and seeing what farm life was like back then. Even the breeds of animals are specific to the time period. One of my favorite things about the farm is that you can go season after season, year after year and still see new things.
The farm provides a variety of activities to do and see. When you walk along the path from the parking lot up to the house and barns, you'll pass by a few fields full of heirloom garden favorites. As you near the house, there are period toys and games that want to be played with and are appropriate for a variety of ages.




 According to the Metro Parks website, the farmhouse is a gothic revival built in 1856 and later restored. This visit was actually the first that I can recall going inside and it's certainly worth the detour, but I'm already on picture overload, so I'll have to share the inside with you another day. It wouldn't be a summer post though if I didn't show you the summer kitchen. No joke, a summer kitchen is on my dream house wishlist. The summer kitchen is separated from the rest of the house and is in the back.


Merino Sheep
 Of course, my kids would not consider it a farm if it didn't have animals. They have your standard farm animals, but the breeds are all heirloom and at least part of them are fairly rare these days. The thing my kids love the most about the animals, is that you can pet them. I don't recommend trying to pet the geese or turkeys, but the sheep, cows, pigs, and horses love the attention and some will even come over as you walk up.
Poland China Hog

If you've never been to a historical farm, I highly recommend you find one locally to visit, or if you're in central Ohio, you should definitely hit up Slate Run. Their hours are:  
April and May: Tue-Sat 9am-4pm, Sun 11am-4pm (Memorial Day, noon-6pm) 
June to Aug:
Tue-Thu 9am-4pm, Fri-Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 11am-6pm  (July 4, 9am-6pm)
Sept to Oct: Tue-Sat 9am-4pm, Sun 11am-4pm (Labor Day, noon-6pm)
Nov to March: Wed-Sat 9am-4pm, Sun 11am-4pm

Note: The Farm is closed on Mondays, and is also closed on Tuesdays from November to March. The Farm is closed also on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day

What's your favorite thing to see or do at a farm?

13 comments:

  1. I think this would make a fun visit for kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love farms where we can feed the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is nice. We have a little pioneer village which is somewhat living, but only for certain events. My kids would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so great. my youngest loves all animals it's so cute when they are little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo my kids would love this too! It's so neat for them to learn about rural life and how many of our families used to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun place. My kids would absolutely love to see all those animals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always dream of vacationing in a farmland like that. I wonder really how it will be staying for a week without gadgets but sleeping and getting lazy, and seeing those animals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a great family outing. We used to take my kids to a farm when they were younger. They enjoyed walking around and seeing the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a great place to visit! Looks like your family had a great time being there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun place! If you have animals around my kids would have a blast. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live really close to here! What a great fun summer trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh my gosh. Absolutely gorgeous. I would love to live in a place like this but visiting is always nice too! lol
    I love farms- my favourite thing would be goats lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great place! I try to take my daughter to farms and zoos as often as possible. She loves animals and I love what she can learn from them.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...