Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

 Today is Quinn's 4th birthday and her favorite dinner is pizza, so we're having this for dinner tonight. I love this crust, because it's so easy, tasty, and healthy.

1 1/2 C lukewarm (105-115 F) water
1 tsp sugar
1 T active dry yeast
1 T olive oil (I've used extra virgin olive oil and regular, and they've both turned out great)
4 C whole white wheat flour (the white is important, the red is heavier)
1 1/2 tsp salt
Dissolve sugar into water. Add yeast. Allow to sit approximately 5 minutes (until foamy).
 *Tip: When measuring your flour, use a spoon to add the flour to the measuring cup. Fill to overflowing.

Use the straight edge of a knife to wipe the excess flour off the top of the measuring cup.
Combine flour and salt together. If you have a stand mixer with a kneading attachment, use it (speed 2 for a kitchen aid).
 Stir oil into yeast mixture..
While the mixer is running, add the yeast mixture and allow to mix/knead until thoroughly combined.
It should look something like this.
Transfer dough to a large bowl coated with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with a piece of cling-wrap sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and allow to rise in a warm draft free location for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Gently squeeze to deflate.

To use:
Lightly dust clean work surface with cornmeal. Tear off piece dough and roll out to desired size and thickness. Place on a pan to top and bake.
Bake on bottom rack of the oven at 450 F  for 7-10 minutes depending on your toppings.

For a thicker and/or crispier crust:
Pre-bake  the crust for about 5 minutes before topping. Depending on your pan, you may want to flip the crust over after baking and before topping.
Top as desired and bake an addition 5- 10 minutes depending on toppings.

Freeze it:
If you want to freeze your pizza, bake the crust by itself at 350 F for about 8 minutes. Allow crust to cool, top as desired, flash freeze, wrap up, and place back in freezer until ready to use (proceed with normal baking instructions).

To make breadsticks:
Divide dough into 16 equal portions and shape into sticks. Spread melted butter, garlic, and parmesan cheese over each stick. Allow to rise slightly while oven preheats to 450. Bake 6-10 minutes depending on thickness of breadsticks.
Printer friendly version

What's your favorite pizza topping?

24 comments:

  1. My favorite pizza topping is pepperoni & black olives. I have never had whole wheat dough before, but I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whole wheat sounds great.Favorite pizza for me has to be a simple 4 cheese one love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love mushrooms on my pizza. what do you mean by flash freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try this! My favourite pizza toppings are ham and pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son loves pizza. I will have to try this because this seems like a much healthier option.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all love pizza at home. tonight is national lasagna day so no pizza today but usually we have mushrooms and onions on our pie

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love pizza nights and this pizza I don't think I would feel as guilty eating. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum this looks delicious! I do like a nice pizza. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. Looks good. We also make our pizza with whole wheat dough. My favorite toppings is pepper, onion and olives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will try making this pizza dough. I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH my I love this, I am going to make this with my boys. I am so craving pizza right now

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have made whole wheat pizza dough one time and don't remember if I liked it. I will try your recipe and see how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to try this whole wheat dough pizza. Sounds very healthy and tasty. I love pizza with a lot of veggies on it but I have to have onions on my pizza for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I printed this recipie up, we have lot's of weat flour the rest of my family can eat it but I can't. I wanted to make mini pizzas and have been looking for a recipie see I freeze them and let the kids grab them for lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderful! We love whole wheat in our house and with pizza on top of that! I will definitely be trying this out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never frozen a homemade pizza. Just never thought to, but what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love to make homemade pizzas but I have never made the dough myself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. NICE! I LOVE whole wheat pizza! Making homemade is better and I LOVE it. Thank you for sharing this recipe it looks so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm, this looks yummy! My kids LOVE making pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kudo to you for making your own dough! I have no patience to follow all the steps to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The last time I made my own pizza dough I was in high school during Home EC. Never had whole wheat pizza dough before!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds delish! I haven't made pizza dough since I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We love pizza in our home but I have never made it with a whole wheat crust. We eat everything else whole wheat so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cheese! Looks yummy! Thanks for linking up. Your post is pinned to the Creative K Kids Tasty Tuesday Link up board!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...