Friday, July 4, 2014

A New Coop

Happy Independence Day! I'm spending a low key holiday at home. Strangely enough it's one of the few holidays my family doesn't have a get together. So, I'll be home enjoying my freedoms.
Because it's Friday, I have another chicken update for you.
We have integrated all of our chicks, chickens, and ducklings together in a new space. They are loving the extra room to roam around and the new shady location is perfect for them to beat the heat.
 David did all the renovations. He converted part of our old detached garage into the coop and enclosed the run with garden netting (which is very similar to the chicken wire, but half the price!)
 This awning was made from the roof of our first coop. The original coop was repurposed in several areas of this new space.
 The little pool is for the ducks and gets this dirty looking within about an hour of changing the water. The branches were conveniently cut last year and since our chainsaw was stolen, we never got around to turning them into firewood.
 Here's a view from just inside the coop. If you look closely, you can see all of the elements we added.
These 5 gallon buckets are the nesting boxes. The large pole at the bottom and the two diagonal poles are for roosting.

So far no one has spent much time on the upper level. A couple of them hang out in the far corner, but most of them pile together in the corner in front of the door. This means that part of them are sleeping on the ramp, but they don't seem to mind. Hopefully as everyone gets bigger, they'll start using the boxes and roosting sticks.

How are you spending your holiday weekend?

7 comments:

  1. The new coup looks great!! Good job! Happy 4th to you and your family! We are getting that hurricane here in MA, so we are keeping it quiet here today, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Arthur is headed your way, I hope you and your family stay safe and your power stays on.

      Delete
  2. I want so bad to have my own little homestead and be able to raise animals, especially chickens. I like seeing how you made your coop and the details of it. The five gallon bucket idea is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really want to have my own chicken! My son has been begging me to get chicks and I really like to have them. But we need more space. I need my own place, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little coop. We are having a lovely staycation as well.
    Estelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute. You are so loving with the chickens. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe! Thank you for sharing this one. This gives me idea on what to do for our own coop too someday. I love that nesting part bucket. We did build our own chicken coop, but because we moved to a new state, we will have to continue raising chickens by the time we come back here to this old house of ours. Cute chicken coop!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...