Thursday, January 1, 2015

8 Tips to Help You Drink Enough Water

One of the goals I've spent a lot of time working on is drinking enough water. I imagine we all know that adults should be drinking a minimum of 64 oz a day, but just because you know something is good for you doesn't mean it's easy. 
 During a group discussion last semester, one of my classmates revealed that she is lucky to get 16oz in and wanted to know what tips I had. If one person found this information valuable, I imagine there are plenty of others who would too, so here is the advice I gave her, plus a few extra ideas I came up with while editing.
 Feel free to pick and choose from the suggestions, I have used all of them at one time or another, but not necessarily at the same time:

  • Drink good tasting water. Sometimes that means spending extra money on either bottled water or filters, but i consider it a preventative medicine to drink enough water, so if I can make room in my budget, I do.
  • Flavor it. Try some lemon, lime, fruit, herbs, or anything that sounds good.
  • Drink it at room temperature. It will actually hydrate you better. However, if you prefer it cold, drink it that way.
  • Make water available and easily accessible all day. I've tried several variations- After my babies, I've filled the hospital jug and kept it near me all day and night. Sometimes it's as simple as leaving a filled glass of water on the table and refilling it anytime it empties. The goal being to take at least one drink every single time I walk by. 
  • Use a straw. For some reason I can gulp down a ton of water if I use a straw.  I can do it fairly mindlessly, so I don't feel like I'm drinking as much.
  • Use tall glasses/bottles. I find it less daunting to drink 4 16oz bottles or 6.5 10oz glasses than 8 8oz glasses. It's all mental and it may not work for you, but it helps me.
  • Drink while exercising. I aim to drink at least 16 oz before, during, and/or after exercising.
  • Drink a glass with any medicines or vitamins. When I take my vitamin or any medicine, I aim to drink at least a full 8 oz (for each medicine) and that helps too.

What tips would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...