Thursday, February 19, 2015

Take-out Fake-out Egg Rolls

Happy Chinese New Year!
 I love Chinese take-out, but the price tag and I don't always get along. Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy it, but with a little bit of effort, I can make it for less at home and it's fun. As my family gets older and the kids are eating more, I'm feeling more and more inclined to make things at home. Do you have any idea how quickly the tab climbs when six people eat out? It's nuts!
 So here I have these awesome egg rolls, they are a big step-up from the egg rolls I used to make, because I discovered the secret ingredient: oyster sauce. A bottle isn't very expensive and makes a world of difference.
1.25 lb ground pork, 2 tsp minced ginger or paste, 10 oz angel hair coleslaw, 2 med carrots, shredded
4 T oyster sauce, about 20 egg roll wrappers, and about 1 QT oil for frying (not pictured)
Cook pork and ginger together.
Stir in coleslaw and carrots and cook 2 minutes.
Stir in oyster sauce and cook 2-3 minutes.
Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon into an egg roll wrapper.
Roll up and seal with a little bit of water.
Repeat until filling and/or wrappers are gone.
Preheat oil. It should lightly sizzle when a drop of water is added. If it crackles and pops, it is too hot.
Carefully add a prepared egg roll to the oil and allow to turn golden brown. Turn egg rolls to evenly cook.
Remove from oil and allow excess oil to drain onto a paper towel lined plate.
Enjoy!
 Click here for the printable version.

What's your favorite take-out dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...