Saturday, November 8, 2014

$300 Grocery Experiment: week 1 financial

 If you're just tuning in, check out this post explaining the experiment and this post sharing my plans for this week.

This week has been challenging. When I first came up with the idea to do this series with a $75 budget, I thought it would be a piece of cake, but I forgot to consider how expensive getting a pantry started is. What I really hope to show through this series is how quickly a bit of sacrifice can turn in to a way to constantly save money.

Here's the break down of this week's budget:

Basic pantry staples: $18.35
  • sugar (4 lb) $1.49 @ Aldi
  • baking soda $.49 @ Aldi
  • baking powder $.99 @ Aldi
  • salt $.39 @ Aldi
  • cinnamon $.99 @ Aldi
  • nutmeg $1.69 @ Aldi
  • cumin $.99 @ Aldi
  • chili powder $.99 @ Aldi
  • rice (3lb) $1.49 @ Aldi
  • flour (5lb) $ 1.29 @ Aldi
  • oatmeal (16oz) $1.59 @ Kroger
  • yeast (active dry 3 pk) $.99 @ Kroger
  • bouillon $1.69 @ Aldi
  • oil $2.29 @ Aldi
  • brown sugar $.99 @ Aldi
These are items that I don't like to be without. I have a small stash of all but the spices and continually replenish as needed. For the purposes of this experiment, I calculated the yeast and bouillon from different packages than I typically buy, due to store and price restrictions. I usually buy a higher quality bouillon from Kroger, but I've used the Aldi stuff in the past and the taste is fine. I also buy 2 or more pounds of yeast at a time from GFS and store it in my freezer. One package will last me a year or more and it costs less than $5 dollars.

Other items I usually to keep on hand: $28.01
  • 16oz peanut butter $1.69 @ Aldi
  • 2 9oz boxes off-brand cheerios $.99 each @ Aldi (special sale price)
  • tomato sauce $.25@ Aldi
  • dozen eggs $1.59 @ Aldi
  • 3 lb bag onions $.99 @ Aldi
  • frozen ravioli $2.99
  • real bacon bits $1.49 @ Aldi
  • cream cheese $.99 @ Aldi
  • canned pumpkin $.89 @ Aldi
  • 20 oz raisins $2.89 @ Aldi
  • natural strawberry jam $2.59 @ Kroger
  • butter (1lb) $3.79 @ Aldi
  • canned tomatoes $.50 @ Kroger
  • 3 cans beans $.50 each @ Kroger
  • spaghetti noodles $.89 @ Aldi
  • pasta sauce $.99 @ Aldi
  • 12 oz frozen peas and carrots $1 @ Kroger
  • 12 oz frozen peas $1 @ Kroger
I rarely pay this much for butter. I stock up when it's on sale and put it in my freezer. However, all of the canned goods prices are at stock-up prices.

What I would have purchased had this been a normal week: $25.86
  • 2 gal milk $2.79 each @ Aldi
  • 2 3lb bags apples $2.49 each @ Aldi
  • 3.99lb bananas $.55/lb @ Kroger
  • celery $1.25 @ Kroger
  • 2 lb grapes $1.98 @ Aldi
  • pineapple $1 @ Kroger
  • bag mini sweet peppers $4.99 @ Kroger
  • 1 lb carrots $.79 @ Kroger
  • 1 bunch green onions $.49 @ Kroger
  • 10 lb bag potatoes $1.99 @ Aldi
  • 1 tomato on the vine $.62 @ Kroger
These are the items I either need to buy every week or don't buy unless I need them. I lucked out on the milk prices, since they've regularly been over $3 recently. The mini bag of peppers should last beyond this week unless Wyatt really gets to snacking on them, so even though $5 is a little ridiculous for peppers, they'll last longer than buying single peppers at $1.50 each.

What I couldn't get this week:
 I have to make a few adjustments to my recipes this week. My fried rice will need to be made without soy sauce, my enchilada will skip the olives and be made with a very basic homemade enchilada sauce.

How I made a few things work:
I chose the spices this week for their ability to go in multiple recipes. Each on will be used mulitple times this week and in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...