Friday, May 6, 2016

Short Vowel Word Family Cubes

My kids love games and will happily work on just about anything if you make it into a game. I've had my eye on this phonics cube set for awhile now, but I haven't wanted to spend the money on them. I contemplated printing some, but my most recent printed die lasted about 20 minutes before Claire (2) accidentally squished it.

For these cubes I bought 1" wooden cubes and removable color coding labels. The blocks can be purchased in smaller bags for less than $5 in the craft section and the color coding labels are less than $2 in the office supply section.
I thought about painting the blocks, but I wanted the flexibility to change the letters or word families without a lot of work.

Here are the combinations I currently have  for each cube:

starting consonants:
b, c, j, m, p, r      
l, h, s, f, d, w     
n, g, k, v, t, y

short vowel word families:
at, ig, ot, et, ug, an (my daughter uses these with This Reading Mama's Reading the Alphabet curriculum)
og, op, ox, in, it, ip  
ed, en, ap, ar, ad, am
ump, ack, ick, ill, ing, ash

To play, have your child roll one consonant and word family at a time or roll all of them together and see how many words they can make.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...