Monday, April 18, 2016

Our Homeschool Routine

Before starting homeschool, I had this idea that school had to start bright and early each morning at precisely the same time...just like public school. It took me about a week and a half to realize that my vision of everyone up and eating at seven, so we could be dressed and ready to learn by eight o'clock was a bit ambitious.


After some trial and error, my kids and I settled into a routine that has us getting up and eating breakfast around 8:00 am and starting in on school work by about 9:00. I tried doing a morning circle time, but it didn't work well for my kids. They kept getting distracted and wandering off, so we get right into our work instead and sprinkle circle time things in as they fit.

I separate my first grader's studies into three or four groups that are divided by breaks of varying length. Each group consists of 3-4 tasks that he can choose the order of. Today's schedule went as follows:
  • math worksheet, math game, Star Wars Reading workbook, Star Wars Writing workbook
  • 20 minute break 
  • Mom's choice book, 2 related activities, sight words game
  • 30 minute break
  • review European landmarks, nocturnal animals lesson and activity, free choice reading for 15 minutes
His 5 year old sister has her own lessons for math and reading, but they are learning about animals and geography together.  Quinn (5) usually starts her reading lesson while Zeke is working on his math worksheet, works with me on her math during his first break, then takes a break until it's time for group lessons.

If Zeke (7) works diligently, we can all finish by lunch. After lunch we have a quiet time. Sometimes, Zeke will do his reading during quiet time, but other than that I try to keep it a time for everyone to just relax. The rest of our day is spent playing, watching PBS, reading, singing, and going for walks.

What does your daily routine look like? Do you prefer to complete tasks one right after another or do you like to have regular breaks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...