Friday, May 13, 2016

Homemade Instant Oatmeal: 4 flavors

One of my favorite things about homeschooling is that I can take the time to ensure my family is getting a good breakfast to start the day. That being said, I can't spend the entire morning cooking, so I still cook the same things I did when my kids went to public school. One of our favorites is this create your own easy oatmeal. Life would be just as easy if I made a big batch of oatmeal in my rice cooker or on the stove top, but not everyone wants the same flavor.
I begin each bowl with 1/2 C instant oats then add one of the following sets of ingredients

Almond Joy
2 TBSP shredded sweetened coconut
1 TBSP sliced almonds
1 TBSP mini chocolate chips (add after oats are cooked)

Raisin and Brown Sugar
1 tsp brown sugar (more or less to taste)
1 heaping TBSP raisins

Cinnamon and Sugar
1/8-1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar

Plain
smidgen salt
1/2-1 TBSP granulated sugar


If I'm just making one or two bowls, then I add enough liquid to cover the oats (water level should be at the very top of the oats, but not much higher) and then microwave for 1 minute.

If I'm prepping for the whole family, I boil a kettle of water and allow the hot water to cook the oats. I aim for the water level to almost cover all the oats (as in the picture shown).

I don't have water measurements for you, because my family has different preferences when it comes to the thickness of their oatmeal, so I imagine everyone else does too. If you don't have enough liquid, you can always add a little more, but if you know you prefer thin oatmeal, I suggest adding more water than I've described.

What's your favorite way to eat oatmeal?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...