Thursday, July 10, 2014

Dawes Arboretum Visit

Yesterday, my family and I ventured over to Dawes Arboretum in Newark, Ohio for a picnic and a hike. We try to make it over to Dawes at least once a year, because there is so much to see.
 This visit was the first time we actually went in the visitor's center and we were so glad we did, because the kids had so much fun in their kid's area downstairs.
 The kid's discovery center has several little sections with learning activities for various ages.
 Quinn and Wyatt were particularly fond of the puzzles.
 Zeke had a blast finding things outside using the binoculars.
 They have a live beehive available for viewing and learning too! The hive is enclosed in glass, but opens up outside.
 My kids didn't discover the nature table, but I thought it was neat and would love to show it to them in the future.
 This tree is huge! It's just outside the visitors center and provides shade for a little picnic patio. We chose to eat our lunch at a different picnic site, but did stop to attempt a big kid group shot.
 When I say attempt, I really do mean attempt. I was only able to take 3 pictures before these goofballs were totally over the novelty of sitting on a giant rock and would no longer sit.
 David snapped this shot of Claire and I rocking the Ergo, like always, while we were walking along the Glacier Ridge trail.
 One of the things I really like about Dawes is the variety they have. And most of it is marked with a little plaque staked into the ground.
 We only walked the one trail, but Zeke was curious to see what it looked like on the map and then decided to take on the role of navigator.
 We made it about 3/4 mile before the kids got tired and needed to turn around, eventually Quinn and Wyatt needed a little help. By the time we returned to the van, we had walked about 1.5 miles and were ready to go home.
On the way out of the Arboretum, you'll find the Beard-Green Cemetery. We have yet to stop and actually look at the graves, but it's just a neat little extra we always look forward to passing.

Have you been to a nature center recently?

11 comments:

  1. That looks like such an awesome place. I would LOVE to spend the day there with my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, educational day out! The children sure looked had a grand time and must have learned plenty.

    I'd love to take my kid to nature center when the weather cools down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun place. I like your little girls top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun and a place to learn that is great! visitor centers around here do not offer too much just a vending machine and a bathroom..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like an amazing place to visit. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely place to visit! Sounds like you all had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so gorgeous! Nice to see family having fun outside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of Dawes Arboretum! And, I live in Ohio!! Where in the world have I been?! Lol! Thanks for sharing... they should be super grateful for your post, you're getting the word out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a really great, engaging outing! I wish they had something like that here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! the behive looks fascinating! What a great place for the kids to learn!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I read each and every single one, so feel free to answer my comment prompts or tell me whatever you're thinking. If there's something you especially enjoy and want to see more of, let me know. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...